You’re putting laundry in the gas dryer and your spouse is warming up the car in the attached garage. These may not seem like potentially dangerous activities, but they can produce carbon monoxide in your home. Below are four reasons to get a carbon monoxide detector in your Register, GA home.

1. Alerts You Before Symptoms Arise

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that’s both odorless and colorless; it impacts your indoor air quality by inhibiting your blood’s ability to carry oxygen where it’s needed. While exposure to carbon monoxide can result in death, early symptoms include headache, confusion, sleepiness, chest tightness and nausea. A carbon monoxide detector alerts you and your family before you start experiencing symptoms.

2. Your Current Carbon Monoxide Detector Expired

A detector lasts for five to seven years before it reaches the end of its life. When these devices reach the end of their lifespan, you must replace them. If you’re wondering when to replace yours, there’s usually a tag or a date stamp on the back of the detector.

3. You Need to Find the Source of a Gas Leak

Since a carbon monoxide detector alerts you that there’s carbon monoxide before you develop symptoms, you can call a technician to help you track down the source of the gas. This source could be a gas dryer with a clogged filter, your furnace or other fuel-burning appliances.

4. You Don’t Have Enough Detectors

You should have at least one carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home, including your basement and attic. You should also consider adding one to your garage if it’s attached to your home as well as directly outside of each bedroom.

Your home’s indoor air quality impacts your everyday health, so it only makes sense to take steps to ensure your safety. Contact Deal’s Heating & Air Conditioning today to learn more about our air quality solutions such as ventilation systems, humidity control and air cleaners.

Image provided by iStock

Pin It on Pinterest